I was recently asked for some advice for speaking in front of people at an AGM, my first thought was to say Picture them Naked.
However when I actually thought about that statement and I a not really sure if that would work. I think if I was in a room full of naked people I would start to feel rather self-conscious and some uneasy.
I did have some advise which I felt was useful and so I shared it
I would like to say I have given thousands of speeches and I am never nervous, but that is not the case. I am always worried about giving them, I guess it is something about standing in front of your peers.
Some suggestions for you.
- If you’re in front of a room full of adults remember that you must be doing something right most AGM’s I have been to usually have the leaders and two other adults that did not realise there were not supposed to be there. If there are lots of people there it means what you’re doing in running the troop first rate.
- Make sure you kick of your speech by thanking your team of VOLUNTEERS and it is important to emphasise with out over doing it that your all volunteers – there is a key reason behind this, it not just about saying to people I am not paid for this but it also in people minds sets them to think about support. It may not be support as in I will come along and help but it might be support on the night and for your speech.
- Be honest with people if some one ask you a question you don’t know the answer to say so but follow that up with “but I know where to find out – and if you see me after and give my your contact details when I have the answer I will let you know”
- I am not sure how your AGM will work but it is likely you would have a representative either from County or from District or both depending on the message they want to push and if you have invited them or not – don’t be afraid to defer to them for support if the question is about a district event put it in the court of the District rep.
- If you making a speech read it to someone before hand sit person down and tell them this is their chance to be a difficult as they can be and to listen to your speech and then ask any questions she can think of – make a note of the questions and have a think about how to answers to those questions if they came up or amend your speech to answer the question.
- Open positively and end on a positive note people mostly listen to the beginning and end of the speech, their minds wonder in the middle. If the beginning and end are positive then it stands to reason that the middle was and they will be happy with the message.
- Finally have confidence in your speech and try if you can to learn it, if you deliver it confidently then people will accept that you know what you’re talking about. If you fumble though reading if from your notes then people will think you have not clue.
They were my bits of advice but do you have any they you would like to share? Maybe one that don’t involve picturing people naked
[icitspot id=”4769″ ]