Hi Ho Hi Ho it is off to Family Camping we go
I have always love camping, I can remember as a cub going on camps and getting the chance to sleep in a sleeping bag or I remember going camping with my family and getting to the point aged about 10 where I got to sleep in my own tent, right next door to my parents but still I was on my own surviving against the elements like…. well we did not have Bear Grylls, so I guess like Action Man did.
Thankfully my wife liked camping too and we have camped in France and the UK so it seems only natural for use to have camping as something our family does. The real question is would my daughters like Camping.
The answer – Yes for now, at the age of 4 and 18 months they seemed to.
We established this by going on our first family camping trip at the end of June. We chose to head to the Forest of Dean which is about 40min from where I live and was chosen specially for that reason. We wanted somewhere that if everything went wrong we could just leave get home and drive out the next day to collect our belonging.
Thankfully we did not have to do that, we did come home one day earlier than planned but that was due to over tired parents and the feeling that an extra day at home to pack away everything and get everything washed would be beneficial.
The things I learnt this last camping trip:
- As an adult, you will have to accept that the excitement of a sleeping bag, air mattress & a tent will mean that it is impossible to go to sleep the first night away camping when your 4.
- The fact that you did not go to sleep till 3 hours after your normal bedtime does not mean you will wake up 3 hours later, you will still wake up at 05:30.
- I would never have thought technology while camping would be necessary however the benefit of having a fully charged iPad and a collection of Peppa Pig episodes is a lifesaver at 05:30 in a very light tent.
- You could have a 8 man tent for 4 people, two of which our children but if it rains you will not have enough space to occupy those kids.
- Playing in the rain in raincoat and wellies is fun. you have just forgotten it now you’re old.
I really hope this camping trip is the first of many camping trips to come, we did so many new things on the camping holiday but there are still so much more to do.
I also can tick off one more of my 40b440 Challenge